Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rain Before a Rainbow

Scott was sick for two days over Memorial Day and then his system just emptied out for three days. I think despite our best efforts he maybe had a virus that was going through our house. He rightfully so denied eating any foods because everything made him feel worse.

I had IV fluids with saline and glucose put into place with the help and care of several people in the medical community with whom we have been dealing. After two days, Scott told us he wanted to stop the IV therapy and that he would eat and drink his own food. And he did.

Fortunately, with our families here, God set the right people in the right place at all the right times to help us out.

My family from NJ had been here in two shifts and it was really rewarding and special and helpful.  My brother Norm took me on an errand Sunday and sat by Scott with me when Scott was most ill. Gardens were weeded. Our nephew-in-law Jason installed a screen door for us which is such a delight. Everyone did all they could to help us out. Everyone visited and love was in the room.

After that, three of Scott’s four siblings began arriving, as well as our friend Albee from New Jersey, and Scott's daughter Becky in Florida with her husband Mike. Connie came with Scott's brother Mario from North Carolina. Scott’s sister Sandy is here from Alaska and Bob from Maine is back with us. (We know sister Kathy in Iowa is with us in spirit!)

Like a midwife who comes to a birth, Sandy immediately began ministering to Scott after he had a few days without food. She has many ideas about healing that I absolutely agree with but that Scott and I had a hard time implementing by ourselves.

Sandy is feeding Scott nourishing broths that are more like liquid food therapy and easy for his body to assimilate. We have seen several good signs that strength is returning, including color to his cheeks and a talkative nature. Scott joked with me the last few days after waking up and has been making me laugh!

Spending any time with Scott is immensely peaceful. You just want to sit there and soak in the vibes. It’s beautiful. Our children visit him individually all day long. They stop in to check on him and sometimes chat or give him a kiss or touch his hand.The older boys have had two full nights sleep now as other helpers have taken what we call "the night shift."

After getting through last week’s illness, Scott has elected to begin taking his new pill form of chemotherapy.

As usual, I just don’t know what to tell you. Some people have tried having end-of-life conversations with me. I think it’s premature. My husband is still alive, sharing love with me and making me laugh.

People say to be prepared. Well, I am—as much as one person can possibly be. We have had those “what would you do” conversations long ago, as people do, way before we even knew Scott was ill. I think that just like any other time, God would direct me. That is my answer.

I appreciate so much all the cards and notes and support. The cards are all taped to a wall behind Scott. There are so many. Scott has given us all a beautiful river of life and love to immerse ourselves in while caring for him.

I hope you are all well. Thank you for your prayers. I ask you to pray for Scott as much as you can over the course of this next week. I can’t thank you all enough for being here and there for us and for him. 

God Bless you all. 

please note: this post shows Scott as author because my account would not let me sign in


No comments: